Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Homemade Laundry and Dishwasher Detergent

I have found yet another way to save money in my house. I now make all of our own laundry and dishwasher detergent. We go though so much of this stuff. I have to run the dishwasher and the wash at least once a day. We also have allergies to many of the scents and dyes they put in to laundry soap so I can't just go out and buy the cheapest brand available. So I found these recipes and tried them out and they have been working great. Not only that but they only cost about 2 cents a load for laundry and 4 cents a load for the dishwasher detergent. I got the recipes off of

tipnut.com/10-homemade-laundry-soap-detergent-recipes/ AND
frugallygreen.blogspot.com/2008/06/how-to-make-your-own-dishwasher.html

Laundry Soap
2 cups Ivory soap grated fine
1 cup washing soda
1 cup borax
Use 2 tablespoons per large load (use one tablespoon per load for diapers)

Dishwashing Detergent
2 cups Borax
2 cups Baking Soda
4 packs lemon Kool-Aid (no sugar)
Use 1 tablespoon in each cup

What I have learned that is helpful is
1. Don't use more then the amount stated. It is not helpful and will leave streaks on your dishes or make your diapers wick.
2. Use vinger as a rinse aid
3. Washing soda is in the laundry aisle at the store. Call around if you don't know if your local store has it.

I have read some comments on the safety of using Borax in the dishwasher. All I can say is that you can not eat store bought dishwasher detergent either so I don't see much of a difference. I don't even have any idea what is in that stuff.

No comments:

 

net tracking statistics
Rollerball Pens